Here is Kate pretending to make candles. Not pictured: J.D.
JD and Kate Dobson are humor writers and candlemakers. We are married (to each other) and live in St. Louis, Missouri, where we moved to pursue the American dream of finding excitement, adventure and opportunity in the untamed west, like Daniel Boone, or Alferd Packer.
All of our candles are hand-poured in small batches. They have been featured by media outlets including CBS News, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, CBC News, PopSugar, BuzzFeed and, for some reason, Yahoo! Finance. In our former lives, Kate was a comics editor for a major newspaper, and J.D. worked in politics and then PR. J.D. pours the candles while Kate packs them and designs the labels, and we both write the label copy. All of our products are also available on Etsy and Amazon.
Our book, Hottest Heads of State, was published in 2018 by Henry Holt & Co.
Click on a link below to visit one of the many humor websites we've created in our spare time when we were bored.
- Hottest Heads of State is the world's foremost authority on the hotness of all world leaders.
- Real Fortune Cookies is a bunch of fake fortune cookies. When you think about it, the name is kind of misleading.
- Ad Supplement is this weird phase we went through in which we wrote short stories to accompany the ads in the New York Times magazine.
- Slow Laundry is when we were pretending that there is a movement to start hand-washing laundry.
- Slow Laundry in the City is more of the above.
- Forest Park Fox Hunt defies explanation.
- Senator Dracula also defies explanation. Or maybe I'm just tired of writing captions.